15 Dec Cheers to a Healthy Holiday
The holidays are here and so are the delicious desserts, extra creamy mashed potatoes, and cozy eggnog and hot chocolate! Just because this special time of year offers an assortment of treats and extra portions, doesn’t mean we have to give up on our health. Here are some simple tips on how to enjoy the season and still maintain our well-being during the holidays:
- Use smaller plates for serving. Large plates will tempt you to fill it with larger portions. Smaller plates will make your mind think you have plenty of food already!
- Stick to your favorites. Choose 2-3 of your favorite treats and only stick those, rather than picking at random junk food options that do not satisfy your craving.
- Scan the buffet before serving. Take a sneak peek at everything that is offered and plan ahead before you get to the starting line.
- Focus on veggies. Filling your plate with colorful fruits and vegetables first will help balance your choices, give you daily nutrients, and provide fiber to help flush out any extra treats you may sneak on your plate!
- Find new ways to move. Just because it’s cold, doesn’t mean we have to give up on daily activity. Try walking around winter festivals, ice skating, bowling, or check out your community’s recreation center for events.
And most importantly, have a happy & healthy holiday season!