30 Sep Mummy Pizza Bread
We are obsessed with anything Fall, and fun Halloween themed recipes! We updated our traditional Incredible Handmade Pizza dough recipe to form these Spooky Mummy Pizza Breads!
Mummy Pizza Bread
Makes 4 (8 inch) Mummies
- 1/2 C warm water
- 1/2 t honey
- 1/2 t yeast
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 t salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/4 C tomato sauce
- 6 oz mozzarella, cut into strips
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- In a small bowl, combine warm water and honey. Sprinkle yeast on top; stir to combine. Let stand 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt; then stir in yeast mixture. Stir until mixture forms a soft dough. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil, then place dough into the oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and allow to rest and rise for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Once dough has risen, divide into 4 even pieces. Roll each piece into a 6 x 8” rectangle. Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce down center of dough, top with a few slices of mozzarella cheese and chopped basil. Using a pastry wheel make slanted incisions along each side of the dough towards the filling, leaving ½” between each incision.
- To form the braid, alternate and overlap the strips of dough to cover filling from one side to the other until all dough is wrapped and covering the filling.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until bubbly and golden. Enjoy!