It’s Pie Season at TBK! We are always looking for creative and yummy ways to make pies in our cooking classes. These Apple Roses are perfect for our teen cooking classes as well as adults! We make these pies in our cooking workshops, camps and birthday parties.
We begin by making our classic pie dough, which is a simple and delicious dough you can use with any pie, additionally you can swap out the sugar for extra salt and make savory pies such as Quiche!
Apple Rose Instructions
- To prep the apples for our Apple Roses, cut apples in half and thinly slice each half lengthwise. Apples will need to be softened to be pliable for this recipes or they wont roll properly. To soften apples place them in a microwave safe bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice and microwave for 1 minute.
- Get all of your ingredients and tools you will need to a assemble your Apple Roses ready – pie dough, apples, fruit preserve, pan, brush, cupcake pan and rolling pin! Roll pie dough into thin strips 6 inches long and 2 inches thick.
- Brush each piece of pie dough with the fruit preserve, if your preserve is too thick to spread mix in a little warm water to loosen it up enough to brush.
- Line apples on top of the jam, layering them so they overlap and the peel side is hanging over the top of the pie dough. Fold bottom edge of pie dough over the apples to hold them in place.
- Begin rolling apples and pie dough together, making sure to seal the seam at the end.
- Repeat this process with all apples and pie dough until all roses are formed.
- Place roses in a cupcake pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and pastry is flaky.
- Top with powdered sugar and enjoy!