Nothing brings people together like good food and good company! We’re excited to celebrate Mom by treating her to a brunch that the whole family will enjoy.
Whether it’s breakfast in bed or brunch with the whole family, we’ve got the perfect line-up of breakfast recipes to showcase this month’s spotlight on strawberries and put an early morning smile on Mom’s face!
Sweet, sweet strawberries are overflowing the fruit aisles and farmer’s markets, and we are ready to take full advantage of these berries in the Kitchen. Strawberries are naturally sweet, making them a great after-dinner or mid-day pick-me-up snack. Full of vitamin C, folate, potassium, fiber, and antioxidants, these berries shout healthy AND delicious! They’re a power house for boosting immunity, memory, and heart health (so you can love Mom everyday!).
Because strawberries are oh-so-delicate, they have to be picked by hand as soon as they’re ripe and then stored in a cool place. Purchase strawberries in season looking for shiny, bright red berries with their green stems intact. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days and just need a quick wash before eating. Fresh strawberries are great on salads, in yogurt, and in baked goods like muffins. When not in season, frozen strawberries are just as nutritious and versatile to use. Frozen berries work great for smoothies and flavoring homemade ice cream. Did you know?… The average strawberry has about 200 seeds on the outside! Turn those seeds into your own homegrown strawberry plant. Nothing says “We love you, Mom” more than a homemade breakfast using homegrown produce.
So, let’s get Mom’s breakfast party started! We’ve got the tips and strawberry treats to make memories in the Kitchen with the whole family. From a casual breakfast in bed to a full spread brunch or tea party, this menu is sure to please:
- Sun Tea – The sun is shining and the flowers are in full bloom for sipping on some tea. Put together your own Mother’s Day Tea Party with one of the recipes below paired with Mom’s favorite flavored tea. Go shopping with Mom to select her favorite tea (we like ginger, berry and other fruity teas). Simply pour warm water into a clear pitcher over the tea bags and add a drizzle of honey. Start with 1 cup of water per 1 bag of tea. Set the pitcher in a sunny spot until the water is rich in color. Serve with lemon slices and cheers to celebrating Mom!
- Mini Pancake Muffins – Start with this simple and delicious breakfast classic mixing in fresh fruit of your choice. Diced strawberries with a pinch (or two!) of mini chocolate chips makes this bite-size breakfast item a morning treat. This recipe is interactive for all ages to whip up in the morning and sneak up to Mom’s bed with a side of warmed syrup. Or invite Mom to join in the fun whisking and scooping together. These can even be prepped the day before and warmed the next morning if your family is in a hurry to get out the door to celebrate the day.
- Strawberry & Cream Biscuits – Putting a seasonal twist on this warm and flaky breakfast recipe, the strawberries add a colorful POP while the cream gives extra moisture so these biscuits melt right in your mouth. Start with this biscuits recipe and swap the cheese for 1/4 cup heavy cream and carrots for about 7 diced strawberries. TBK Tip: Keep the butter really cold when cutting it into the dry ingredients by using a pastry cutter (one of our favorite Kitchen tools). The colder the butter, the flakier the biscuits! If adding these to your tea party or making for a large family brunch, make these with mini biscuit cutters or carefully shape by hand into bite-sized biscuits. Does Mom like her biscuits cut in triangles, circles, or heart shapes?
- Fruit & Yogurt Parfait – What better way to mix and match all of Mom’s favorite fruits and breakfast flavors! Set up a build-your-own parfait with your choice of yogurt, bowls of fresh fruit (sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, diced pears or peaches), homemade granola and a spread of endless toppings (shredded coconut, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, a drizzle of honey, or a sprinkle of chocolate chips!). Have fun getting creative as you and Mom assemble the different layers together. Make her feel oh-so-fancy by layering in a clear dessert glass to enhance your colorful presentations!
- Rustic Fruit Tart – Looking for a way to really ‘wow’ Mom? This decadent pastry, also known as a galette, is the perfect way to showcase the fruits of the season (all year long!) and highlight your awesome pastry skills. Get creative with your ninja knife skills as you slice, dice and arrange chosen fruits like fresh strawberries, plums, pears, or apples. Having additional guests for breakfast? These can be made into mini tarts or made as one large tart cut into slices for your guests. Get started with our recipe below!
Our Kitchens are also prepping for our Mother’s Day Tea Party and family cooking events for this Mother’s Day weekend and can’t wait to see how you choose to honor Mom. If you’re looking to take Mom out for a celebration with a creative activity, find a fun cooking class at a Taste Buds Kitchen near you. Thank you, Moms, for all you do!